SEN Information Report

Definition of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

A child or young person has SEND if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision being made for them.
a) If they have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age; or
(b) If they have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for children of the same age in schools within Hertfordshire.

All pupils in school receive quality first teaching. All teachers are trained to support and teach students that have difficulties with learning. This means that a range of teaching and learning styles are used and that appropriate learning objectives are set for all children.
We work hard to ensure children are successful at school. In order to achieve this steps are taken by a range of staff to support the learning journey.
However for some children there are occasions when special educational provision may be needed to help them achieve their targets.

Children and Families Bill 2013 

The Government is transforming the system for children and young people with special educational needs and Disabilities (SEND), including those who are disabled, so that services consistently support the best outcomes for them. The Bill extends the SEND system from birth to 25 years and aims to promote effective communication between school, pupils and families.

Changes to be implemented from 2014:

  •  A 3 year plan to replace statements and learning difficulty assessments with a new birth to 25 years Education, Health and Care Plan.
  • Improving cooperation between all the services that support children and their families and particularly requiring local authorities and health authorities to work together
  • Local authorities are required to involve children, young people and parents in reviewing and developing provision for those with special educational needs and to publish a ‘local offer’ of support.
  • Schools are required to provide the answers to a range of set questions.

Below are Rickmansworth Park JMI School’s responses to these questions.

*  How does the school know if children/young people need extra help?

We know when pupils need help if:

  • Pupils have been previously identified at the partner school/setting.
  • Concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child.
  • Limited progress is being made.
  • There is a change in the pupil’s behaviour.
*  What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?
  • The class teacher is the initial point of contact for parental concerns. You may then be referred to the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo),

*  How will school staff support my child?

  • Each child’s learning objectives will be planned by the class teachers sometimes in liaison with the SENCo. It will be differentiated accordingly to suit the pupil’s individual needs. This may include additional general support by the teacher or Teaching Assistants (TA) in the class.
  • If a pupil has needs related to a specific areas of their education, such as spelling, handwriting, numeracy and literacy skills etc. then a pupil may be placed in a small focus group. This will be run by the SENCo or a TA. The lengthof time of the intervention will vary according to need. The interventions will be regularly reviewed to ascertain the effectiveness of the provision and to inform future planning. These interventions will be recorded by the SENCo or TA. If you have any queries related to the intervention please do not hesitate to contact the class teacher.
  • Pupils who have a significantly greater difficulty in learning will be placed on the Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Register and a Provision Map will be drawn up for them by the class teacher. This may result from consultations with the SENCo and the child and you. Specific targets will then be set and reviewed termly. In this case pupils will receive specialist 1:1 or small group tuition. The frequency and length of this weekly support will vary according to need.
  • Occasionally a pupil may need more expert support from an outside agency such as the Speech and Language Therapist, Educational Psychologist, Paediatrician etc. A referral may be made, with your consent and forwarded to the most appropriate agency. After a series of assessments, a programme of support will be planned.

*  How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

  •  The class teachers or SENCO may suggest ways you can support your child.
  • The class teacher and/or SENCO may meet with you to discuss how to support your child with strategies if there are difficulties with a child’s behaviour/emotional needs and a ‘Pastoral Support Plan’ may be put in place.
  • If external agencies have been involved, suggestions and programmes of study are often provided that can be used at home.

We will be happy to work with families and recognise that collaboration and a consistent approach between school and home is essential.

*  How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

  •  When a pupil has been identified with special educational needs their work will continue to be differentiated by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily.
  • The SENCo or TAs may be allocated to work with the pupil 1-1 or in a small focus group to target more specific needs, either in class or in our Learning Zone.
  • If a child has been identified as having a special need, they will be given a Provision Map. Targets will be set according to their area of need. These will be monitored by the class teacher, SENCo and Assessment Coordinator, Miss Jane Linch, and reviewed at least three times per year.
  • If appropriate, specialist equipment may be given to the pupil e.g. writing slopes, concentration cushions, pen/pencil grips or easy to use scissors.

*  What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for pupils who are encountering emotional difficulties.
These include:

  • The class teachers and SENCo are readily available for pupils who wish to discuss issues and concerns on a 1:1 basis
  • A variety of extra-curricular clubs available at lunchtimes and after school.
  • A Buddy system which is in place where each Reception child has a Year 6 ‘buddy’ and every Year 2 child has a Year 5 ‘buddy’.
  • Discussions may be prompted by a pupil, teacher or parents.
  • School Council meetings provide opportunity for the children to put forward and act on their ideas.
  • Key Sage 2 (KS2) play leader where support for Key Stage 1 (KS1) children is given on their playground at lunchtimes by trained Year 6 pupils.
  • PSHE and Computing lessons which include lessons on anti-bullying, internet safety and relationships. Procedures and training are in place for the administration of prescribed medicines.
  • Single Service Referral access agencies to gain support for emotional and social development (Children’s Centre, South West Herts Partnership (Family Support Worker), CAHMS (Children and Adolescence Mental Health Services), access to the school nurse.
  • Regular monitoring of attendance registers and prompt follow up contact as necessary.

*  What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

At times it may be necessary to consult with external agencies to receive their more specialised expertise.
The agencies used by the school include:

  • Educational Psychologist.
  • CAMHS (Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service).
  • EAO (Education Attendance Officer).
  • Visual Impairment and Hearing Impairment Support Services.
  • Social Services.
  • School Nurse.
  • SaLT (Speech & Language Therapy).
  • Parent Family Support Worker

* What training have the staff supporting children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) had or are having?

All members of staff have received training related to SEND e.g. Specialist Paediatric First Aid, use of the on-site defibrillator and administration of Epipens. Relevant staff are also trained to check sugar levels for Diabetic children and administer appropriate glucose injections.

  • Ms Kate Tamayo (SENCo) has gained the National Award for Special Educational Needs Coordination Post Graduate Certificate.

* How will I be involved in discussion about planning for my child’s education?

All parents are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education. This may be through:

  • Discussions with the class teacher or SENCo.
  • Parent consultaton evenings.
  • Discussions with the class teacher when targets are being set for Provision Maps where you are encouraged to comment on your child’s targets and make possible suggestions that could be incorporated.
  • Discussions with other professionals.

*  How will I know how my child is doing?

  •  You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at Parents’ Evenings.
  • The class teacher and/or SENCo are always happy to discuss any concerns with you. This can be arranged by appointment through the office or in person with the relevant member of staff.
  • Home school link books are used in KS1 where appropriate.
  • Meetings/reports from external agencies are where appropriate which include the SENCo where appropriate.
  • Parent Consultations in the autumn and spring terms with an additional meeting in the summer term for Reception children transitioning to Year 1.
  • Pupil annual reports in the summer term.

*  How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

  •  The class teachers may suggest ways you can support your child.
  • Termly curriculum newsletters explaining topics.
  • Termly parent consultations to explain progress.
  • SEN Support meetings with teacher and/or SENCo.
  • Home link book if appropriate.
  • Weekly homework/reading.
  • Advice shared through the school website.
  • End of year reports.
  • The SENCo may meet with you to discuss how to support your child with strategies if there are difficulties with a child’s behaviour/emotional needs.
  • If external agencies have been involved, suggestions and programmes of study are often provided that can be used at home.
  • We will be happy to work with families and recognise that collaboration and a consistent approach between school and home is essential.

*  How will my child be included in activities outside of the classroom including school trips?

Activities and school trips are available to all.

  • Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate as far as possible.
  • If it is deemed that an intensive level of 1:1 support is required it may be agreed that a parent or carer could accompany their child during the activity.

*  How accessible is the school environment?

As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements. Facilities we have at present include:

  • Two toilets adapted for disabled users.
  • Wide doors in some parts of the building.

*  How will the school prepare and support my child when joining Rickmansworth Park JMI School or transferring to a new school?

Many strategies are in place to enable the pupil’s transition to be as smooth as possible. These include:

  • Discussions between the previous and receiving schools prior to the pupil joining/leaving.
  • All pupils attend transition sessions where they spend some time in their new school.
  • New Reception parents induction evening.
  • New Reception pupils’ induction morning.
  • Year 6 parents’ secondary school transition evening.
  • Additional transition meetings are usually arranged depending on need.
  • Transition Plans are completed with the pupil if deemed necessary, to include photographs of the new environment and personnel involved.
  • Members of staff involved are always willing to meet parents/carers prior to their child joining the school.
  • Local secondary school Year 7 staff visit pupils prior to them joining their new school.

Kate Tamayo will liaise with the SENCOs from the receiving school to pass on information regarding SEND pupils.

*  How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

  • The SEND budget is allocated each financial year. The money is used to provide SEND provision or resources dependant on the range of need of pupils currently attending the school.
  • Additional provision may be allocated after discussion with the SENCo when setting targets for Provision Maps or if concern has been raised at another time during the year

*  How can I find information concerning the local authority’s Local Offer of services and provision for children and young people with special educational needs and disability?

The local offer can be found on the internet at

I hope this offer has answered any queries you may have but do not hesitate to contact the school if you have any further questions.